Most-often asked question of me during the month of June: "What brings you to Portland?"
Most-used response, made in a pseudo-jest tone but with the utmost sincerity: "I'm here on beer pilgrimage."
Actually, my response was only half-true, as my "pilgrimage" had an essence of coffee to round it out. But really, could one hope for such a place as wonderful as Portland for the best of both the AM and PM worlds?
Like many people, I travel with a strong desire to learn, discover, and experience—but the lack of Portland's agenda was a great reminder that downtime is as necessary to structure as task and activity. Here's a brief overview of June's wanderings:
- Reunion tour with old friends in Ventura, CA: Dave and I were colleagues for four years, and during that time (along with his wonderful wife Melanie) have forged a friendship wrought with wit, stories, sarcasm, and craft beverages. Their imagination and capacity for travel is surpassed only by their hospitality and generosity. Thanks guys!
- Bachelor party weekend for my buddy Evan in Santa Barbara, CA: I like my collection of friends in Santa Barbara. We're all somewhere along the artist-engineer spectrum, and our conversations and activities run the gamut of DIY ingenuity. The flavor of Evan's weekend was less bar-hopping and more along the lines of craft beer and unconventional barbecue strategies, topped with an explosive battle royal on the X-Box. We're nerds like that. We also made bets on the Kentucky Derby.
- Three-week road trip, Los Angeles, CA to Portland, OR: We spent five full days on the road driving to and from the City of Roses
- Highlights of the LAX-PDX road trip included a night's stay in a treehouse in Humboldt County
- Portland list-toppers include the McMenamins Edgefield and subsequent tour of the on-site distillery and a round at the pitch'n'putt golf course (posts to follow), as well as a daylong hike of Forest Park
- Huge thanks to Kathryn (our hostess for the trip) and all of her wonderful friends who made us feel at home
Some big plans are coming down the pipeline in the next few weeks…I'll make the announcement as soon as it's official!